20 March 2008

 

PI is what?

Stu says
Quoting Einstein on PI day ;-)
and
Almost finished with PI?

DOF says
Talk like a physicist dayYarr!
Elisson says
The Pi-Rate.


Pies are hard




Kees says
PI is round and not "circumferance = pi are squared"
And the grammer is wrong
Except maybe for vegetarian pies.
"© Stu Savory, 2004.
= 3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 ...
is the ratio of the circumference of any convex curve of constant diameter to that diameter. Usually a circle is stated, but this more precise definition includes e.g. Wankel rotors, and others of that ilk with more than the Wankel's three lobes :-) "

Kees at the wheel again: " Whaaat?" (I like my frontal lobes and do not want frontal lobotomy)

When Kees was about 7 years old he developed a need for PI.
How can this be?
Easy.
Me and my younger brother was playing at developing the biggest circus and thus the biggest tent in the world.
(that world would have included all of Marikana, a share of Rustenburg and a small part of Pretoria)
But I digress.
As we knew that, unless you wanted your tent to blow away, you had to put a peg to hold it down every 2 yards. (these yards were real yards as SA only went metric after this)
(Obviously our tent have blown away recently)
The big Question was, "How many pegs do we need"
We pondered this for some time.
My brother, only 5 at the time, retired when my Mom called us to come and bath.
I didn't like bathing then as I don't like bathing now, and I stayed out.
Forming circles and tracing bigger and bigger circles in the dust.

Then I twigged.
There is a constant that relates a circle's diameter to it's circumferance.

It is as simple as that

My Dad was sent out to fetch me in.
He found me with my boyish brow all furrowed up and thinking deeply.
Dad: "Why didn't you come in when your Mother called"
Keesie: "Will a circle always be 3 times longer on the outside than across?"
Dad: "Whaaat?"
Keesie: "Dad you are so not listening to me, this is important"
Dad: "Please repeat that question"
Keesie: "OK, you have this circle, like a tent, if you make it bigger will the around yards always be 3 times the across yards?"
Keesie: Strugling: "No I do not want be picked up and turned upside down and kissed like this"
Dad: "Let's go and bath before your mother kills both of us and I will answer your question"

Thus cleaned of dirt and allowed to stay up I got my early grounding on PI.

Thus 46 years later I can give you Mi version of PI.


What do you want to use it for?
To calculate the number of pegs you need for your round tent of 2 meters diameter?
PI=3 x 2m= dia = 6 m will be the circumference and you will do do fine.
IE. 1 peg every meter plus two for the door = 8 pegs, simple.

To calculate the number of Gold coins that you can pack on the circumference of a circle that is 1 yards, 22 and a three quarter inch in diameter will (depending on the price of gold) need something that Stu uses.

For all of us it is mostly a number, to some of us it is magic and to others a pleasure.

To calculate the volume of a relativly low cost product like "Compacted earth" I use 3.142 as the price of compacted earth is low enough that it makes no commercial diff's one way or the other.

For Concrete and more costly Items like Steel and Lead I still use 3.142 as 3.1419 will give me less.

I'm a whore and PI proves it.

NOTE:
None of the information should be tried at home without the supervision of a sexy math teacher.
All complaints will be investigated on the provision of the photos of the sexy math teacher.



We still can't calculate hoe many trumpets to blow to crumble one yard of wall as they did not give us the diameter of Jericho.

Comments:

Grandpa-Old Soldier said...
I am sure you know that PI is equal to the center of the equinox devided by the labor of all that is not. But on the other hand it is also the same. Judgeing from what the elevation of the sum of =/2 to the 3rd power it all is the sum of the negative of the rest. Thus pi is squared.
Friday, March 21, 2008 8:16:00 AM


Elisson said...


e^^x dy dy

e^^x dy

cos sec tan sin

3.14159

Yay, team!

- Mathlete's Cheer
Friday, March 21, 2008 7:21:00 PM

Ole Phat Stu said...
Sir,

I bear a rhyme excelling

in mystic force and magic spelling

celestial sprites elucidate

all my own telling can't relate ...


Friday, March 21, 2008 11:08:00 PM


Comments:
I am sure you know that PI is equal to the center of the equinox devided by the labor of all that is not. But on the other hand it is also the same. Judgeing from what the elevation of the sum of =/2 to the 3rd power it all is the sum of the negative of the rest. Thus pi is squared.
 
e^^x dy dy
e^^x dy
cos sec tan sin
3.14159
Yay, team!

- Mathlete's Cheer
 
Sir,
I bear a rhyme excelling
in mystic force and magic spelling
celestial sprites elucidate
all my own telling can't relate ...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
[ ... {NOT} lots of comment code here, BLOGGER IS EFFING YOU, Leave your comment RIGHT HERE... ] 3 comments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
Listed on BlogShares
Web Pages referring to this page
Link to this page and get a link back!
Click to give BLOG4REEL vote!