13 March 2007

 

Duisendpoot


I snapped the above pics at Zebula Lodge over last christmas holidays.

They roll themselves into a wheel like above when challenged.


This piccie comes from here



I have seen ones that was double the size of this little bugger.


As kids we were told that if you got bitten by by one you will laugh yourself to death.



Common names :
duisendpoot, miljoenpoten, mille patte, millipede, milpes, Tausendfüssler, tshongololo (Thanks Oubaas)


Classification:
Diplopoda : Spirostreptida : Odontopygidae

When you have a bug in your life send it to the Circus of the Spineless



KK: Yes Becky I have. Crickets
Moths
Mantiss
Gogga


Comments:
OH, nice! We have some big ones over here, too, but not as big as yours. Watching their feet do that wavy thing as they walk is a little hypnotising. k Homepage 03.18.07 - 3:22 pm #

Geez Kees...I don't think I would be picking those up for fear of them eating my hand.I think I'm glad I live over here with the crabs and fish.Becky
Homepage 03.15.07 - 4:35 pm #

My daughter could use that for her bug project due in a week. Do you have any more?Becky 03.14.07 - 10:03 pm #

Oh, man, you forgot tshongololo. That's the normal name mong the Zulus anyway.
Oubaas 03.14.07 - 1:24 pm #

Again- I'm very happy to be living in a cold climate. I'll take a moose anyday. Ick.
Lisa W. Homepage 03.14.07 - 1:11 pm #

Ewww! I hate the creepy crawly things.

MrsJoseGoldbloom Homepage 03.13.07 - 8:13 pm #

Cute shoe, ugly bug.
LeeAnn 03.13.07 - 7:00 pm #

That's one big-ass bug; having that crawl out from under a rock would make some people scream and wet themselves.
BobG Homepage 03.13.07 - 5:44 pm #




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
Listed on BlogShares
Web Pages referring to this page
Link to this page and get a link back!
Click to give BLOG4REEL vote!